Tuesday 25 June 2013

Reading matter and a visit to the "Place of the Cheetahs!"

At presently I am reading four books. Okay, one I am about to start! It just happened that way. I went away on holiday and bought a book at the airport. The aim was to read this on the airplane. This book is called: "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason. This is the classic story about desires and the key to fulfill these desires. Basically it teaches you the everyday secrets of how to make money but most importantly, it teaches you the secrets how to keep this money and how to make more. It is the basic principles you and I know although we do not apply it. 

The second book I am reading I have mentioned before in one of my blocks. This is the book: "1001 Days that shaped the world". For more information on this book visit www.1001beforeyoudie.com

The third book is a book a friend gave me to read. This book is kept in the cubbyhole of my car and whenever I have a spare minute when waiting for someone, I take out: "Life after death" by Neville Randall. It makes interesting reading. I am sure we all have this age old question of what happens to us after we die. This is irrespective of your beliefs. This is an easy reading book and I must admit fairly reassuring. I think what makes it reassuring as well is the fact that we will be surrounded by our pets. On this basis alone it is worth it to read this book.

At this stage I think you are all wondering where on earth did I go to on holiday? Well, I did not go to any exotic destination. I went for a few days to Bloemfontein, the capitol the province of Free State,  one of the nine provinces of the Republic of South Africa. http://www.southafrica.info/about/geography/provinces.htm.


To be more exact about this province, read more at this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_(province) 

I enjoy going to Bloemfontein. The pace there is much more relaxed. Bloemfontein I regard as a very large town and a small city. The City of Mangaung (Place of the Cheetahs)   

The City of Roses it is known by as well. The entrance to Bloemfontein along the Nelson Mandela Drive.   
One of my favourite places to go to on a Saturday morning is the farmer's market held every Saturday morning in Langenhoven Park.



Many think Bloemfontein is just another city in South Africa. Little is known that this the birth place of the African National Congress as well as the Nationalist Party of the Apartheid regime.

and

The airport of Bloemfontein is small in comparison to other airports of cities. It is named after a very prominent Afrikaner, Bram Fischer, who fought apartheid and who was a communist.



Earlier in my blog I have mentioned four books. Well, the fourth book is the Afrikaans version of  "Commando - of Horses and Men" by Denyes Reitz. This is a journal of the Anglo-Boer War and the consequences of this war. www.cederbergpublishers.co.za

I have previously written about the Anglo-Boer War and its terrible legacy to the Afrikaner nation and concentration camps where thousands of woman and children died. These woman and children where placed in these camps following the Scorched Earth Policy of the British soldiers.


Hunger

Woman and Children waiting for  rations.

Therefore I think it is apt that the Memorial for Woman and Children who died in this war was built in this city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Women%27s_Monument 
http://www.travelground.com/attractions/national-womens-memorial-and-war-museum

For more books and any other reading matter remember to visit http://www.bestforreading.com 
      

 



    

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment